WW2 Russian Protective Corps Structure & Сhronology

Structure of WW2 Russian Protective Corps
By mid-1944, at its peak, the Corps had the following composition:

Corps Headquarters consisting of departments: I-a (operational), 1-b (supply), I-c (intelligence), II-a (adjutant) and the following services: quartermaster (IV-a), sanitary (IV-b) , veterinary (IV-c), communications, automotive, air defense (air defense) and commandant of the headquarters.
At the headquarters of the Corps there was a battalion “Belgrade” consisting of companies: reserve, guard, transport and supply, as well as separate companies: communications and veterinary.
Clergy and churches. To serve the spiritual needs of the ranks of the Corps, at the Headquarters of the Corps there was a corps, and in the regiments – regimental priests and churches.
The sanitary unit was in the hands of the corps doctor. For the treatment of sick and wounded officials of the Corps, there were two infirmaries: in Belgrade and Shabets with doctors and sisters of mercy. In the combat units there were regimental and battalion doctors and company paramedics with the corresponding districts and staff
The veterinary service was headed by a corps veterinarian, and regiments had regimental and battalion veterinarians.

Five regiments of a three-battalion composition with separate platoons: artillery, PAK (anti-tank guns), sapper, cavalry and communications (in the 1st and 4th regiments there is also a musician).
The battalions consisted of three rifle companies and a platoon of heavy weapons (subsequently, an artillery company was formed in the 4th and 5th regiments, and in the 5th, in addition, a PAK company and in each battalion a heavy weapons company).
Companies had three platoons, a platoon had four squads. In total, there are 2183 ranks in the regiment (in the 1st and 4th – 2211).

WW2 Russian Protective Corps battlefields map

Russian Protective Corps units last positions map before leaving in 1944, Yugoslavia

German staff. At the headquarters of the Corps there was a German communications headquarters, and in combat units – regimental and battalion communications officers and company instructors. At the communications headquarters there was a department of family benefits, which regularly gave part of the salary of the rank of the Corps to his family. In addition, in the hands of the German staff of military officials and non-commissioned officers, were all the economic institutions of the Corps units.

Commanders of the Russian Protective Corps

It is difficult to describe the enthusiasm that seized the Russian emigration after the publication of the order to form the Russian Protective Corps, and from the very first day a wide river of volunteers flowed to the assembly points.
In the Russian Corps, Russian people saw that little ball of snow, which, once set in motion, would gradually turn into a formidable avalanche, the purpose of which, with the help of the Germans, was to accomplish what was not possible in 1918-1920 with the help of the allies.
And suddenly thunder struck from the clear sky! Creator of the Russian Corps, Gen. Skorodumov was removed from his post and replaced by Gen. Shteyfon.
The ranks of the Corps were in complete bewilderment … what actually happened? .. What caused this change? own country. This party line, sensing the possibility of turning the Russian Corps into a formidable national force, pressed its military command, and the man who said: “I will lead you to Russia” was replaced.
I repeat that in those days the Russian people, who had never lived in Germany, who believed Hitler’s words about the fight against Bolshevism, had no idea about the size of the work of the National Socialist leaders like Rosenberg and K.
If the impetus for the creation of the Russian Corps was given by the general Skorodumov, then the whole burden of formation and its further deployment fell on the shoulders of the general Shteyfon.
General Shteifon remained at the head of the Corps until the day of his death on April 30, 1945, when Colonel Rogozhin assumed this post.
Gen. Steiffon stubbornly insisted to the German command on the need for the speedy deployment of the Corps, in every possible way defending its national identity. The exceptional merit of the general is the fact that, despite repeated assassinations of the same party line, the Russian Corps was a military unit in which not a single German officer used disciplinary power and did not hold a command position; directly subordinate to the German command was only the Corps Commander personally.
It is difficult even to briefly describe the selfless and persistent work that the gene did. matte; his constant desire was to concentrate the entire Corps into one fist, which he managed to accomplish, alas, only a few days before his sudden death.
With his calm but firm line of conduct, he managed to arrange the arrival of volunteers from other Balkan countries, as well as from Hungary, Czechoslovakia and, finally, from Russia, which brought the strength of the Corps in the summer of 1944 to 12,000 people.
General Shteiffon will go down in history as an honest Russian patriot who devoted himself entirely to the idea of reviving the Russian national military force and did a lot in this area, despite the constant dull resistance of the German party circles.
Colonel Rogozhin took command of the Corps after the death of Gen. Shteifon and was immediately faced with the solution of extremely difficult tasks. At the end of April 1945, the Corps concentrated in the Zagreb area, where they had a short respite after heavy rearguard action in Bosnia and Srem. By this time, the German retreat was in full swing, and the combat effectiveness of many German units had fallen significantly, so that the eyes of the high command more and more often turned towards the Russian Corps, on whose parts one could completely rely, despite the huge losses they suffered.
The corps was still in the territory of the former Yugoslavia, from where it had to be withdrawn at all costs, because. surrender to the red partisans was out of the question.
Colonel Rogozhin brilliantly coped with this task. Taking important decisions on his own responsibility and firmly putting them into practice, he showed the qualities so necessary for a major military commander, which he actually was at that time, thanks to the prevailing situation. As a result of his activities, the Corps withdrew from the encirclement that threatened it and surrendered its weapons to the British.
This was far from the end of the activities of Colonel Rogozhin.
The hardest times have come. Russian patriots, who again raised the sword to save the world from the mortal danger threatening it in the face of Bolshevism, this time in alliance with the Germans, because. their former allies ended up in the opposite camp, turned into “traitors” and “war criminals” with the light hand of the victors, who were threatened with extradition to the Bolsheviks for reprisal.
Colonel Rogozhin, who had already saved the Corps once, having led it out of encirclement, showed a rare diplomatic talent in this difficult situation and saved it a second time from death.
Summing up the experience, we can safely say that the Russian Corps justified the 20-year existence of the Russian political emigration. If it were not for him, the old emigration would have been just a crowd of refugees who, in their time, managed to escape from the red flood by fleeing abroad, and not a selection of ideological people who are ready at any moment to sacrifice themselves in the name of saving their long-suffering Motherland (S. Zabotkin)

1941 Timeline of chronic, re-formations

On September 12, 1941, the following order appeared on the walls of the Russian House in Belgrade:
Order to the Separate Russian Corps. Belgrade No 1 September 12, 1941.
Today, on the day of the Holy Right-believing Prince Alexander Nevsky, the Patron of the much-suffering Russian Land, the cherished desires of the Russian people to begin serving their Motherland in the Russian army have come true. On September 12, I received order No. 1 from the German command with the consent of the Serbian authorities to call on Russian emigration in Serbia to form a Separate Russian Corps.
I was appointed commander of the Russian Corps.
§1. Based on the above, I announce the recruitment of all persons liable for military service aged 18 to 55 years. First of all, persons residing in Belgrade and its environs are subject to recruitment. Additional sets will be announced later.
§2 Those liable for military service, subject to conscription, are required to appear by 9 o’clock. am in Topchider guards barracks:
September 18 – infantry and cavalry.
Sep. 19 – artillery and persons who did not serve in the troops (youth from 18 years old).
September 20 – Cossacks of all troops.
September 21 – technical troops and aviation.
Protecting the personal interests of each emigrant, I allow everyone who wants to and free to appear first of all.
§4 All who, for any reason, cannot arrive at the collection point for enrollment in the ranks of the Corps are required to register on the days and in the manner specified in § 2 in the Russian House (Sokolnya), indicating the reasons.
§5 The head of the military sanitary unit to form five medical commissions for the examination of those drafted. §6 For the first time, everyone arriving at the guards barracks should take with them two changes of linen, bedding and washing accessories, a knife, a spoon and a mug.
§7 All who entered the Corps will be satisfied with all types of allowances according to the norms of the German army.
§8 Rates for providing for families will be announced later.
I call on Messrs. officers, non-commissioned officers, sergeants, soldiers and Cossacks to fulfill their duty, for now a new page in Russian history is opening. It is up to us what will be recorded on this page. If the Russian army is revived, then Russia will also be revived.
With God’s help, with general unanimity, and having fulfilled our duty in relation to the country that sheltered us, I will bring you to Russia.
Commander of the Separate Russian Corps Major General Skorodumov, Chief of Staff of the General Staff Major General Shteifon.
At the same time, Major General Shteifon was appointed Chief of Staff of the Corps, and Colonel Fadeev was appointed Chief of the General Staff Service Department.
September 14 Gen. Skorodumov was arrested by the Gestapo for issuing the order to form the Russian Corps, which did not correspond to German policy, but with the consent of the military command, General. Steyfon continued to form the Corps.
In the period from September 13 to 17, preparatory work was carried out at the headquarters of the Corps for the reception of those liable for military service subject to conscription.
To form the Corps, the barracks of the Serbian guards were assigned to Topchider. These barracks were taken over by a group of Russian youth under the command of Lieutenant Granitov.
On the days appointed by order, volunteers began to arrive at the barracks. They entered the formation of the Rifle Regiment, whose commander, by order of September 26, Major General Kiriyenko was appointed; battalion commanders: I – Colonel Shatilov D.V.; II – Major General Zborovsky, adjutant – General Staff. Colonel Zhukov; company commanders: 1st – Colonel Gordeev-Zaretsky, 2nd – Regiment. Granitov, 3rd – regiment. Tikhonravov, 4th – regiment. Sklyarov and 5th – Major General Ignatiev.
Those appointed to command positions were assigned ranks: regiment commander – oberst, battalion commanders – major and company commanders – hauptmann.
At the same time, Archpriest Father John Gandurin was appointed as a Corps Priest, Hieromonk Father Anthony Medvedev as Regimental Priest and Dr. Mokin as Regimental Doctor.
By October 1, there were already 893 ranks in service.
From the very first day of the arrival of volunteers in the barracks, a military order was established – morning and evening checks, gymnastics, drill and tactical exercises, target shooting and frequent reviews, which made it possible for various German commanders to be convinced of the speed of the formation of the Corps.
By order of the German administration of October 2, the Corps was renamed the “Russian Protective Corps”, the commander of which was appointed Major General Shteifon, the head of the general staff service: gen. PCS. Major General Gontarev, Treasurer of the Rifle Regiment – Colonel Gesket.
According to the states received from the German administration on October 8, the rifle regiment was renamed Consolidated. After the reorganization, the composition of the regiment was as follows:
I cadet battalion – Major General Egorov 1st cadet company – regiment. Gordeev-Zaretsky 2nd cadet company – regiment. Granites
II battalion – regiment. Shatilov
3rd (rifle) company – regiment. Endrzheevsky, 4th (technical) company – regiment. Dudyshkin 5th (artillery) company – General-Major Ignatiev
III Battalion – Major General Zborovsky
6th (later cavalry squadron) company – regiment. Tikhonravov
7th (Cossack) company – regiment. Sklyarov
8th (Cossack) company – regiment. Golovko
4th Battalion, 9th Company – Colonel Nesterenko.
The following were appointed to the headquarters of the Corps: the head of the military-economic department – Major General Glagolev, the corps doctor – Dr. Finne, the corps veterinarian – doctor Istomin.
On October 16, the IV battalion of the Consolidated Regiment was formed. Appointed commanders: IV battalion – Colonel Tikhonravov, 6th company – Major General Petrovsky, 10th company – Lieutenant Colonel Pashchenko. On October 17, the 11th company of Major General Skvortsov was formed.
The formation of the 2nd Consolidated Regiment began on October 18. Renamed: Consolidated Regiment – 1st Consolidated Regiment; IV Battalion of the 1st Consolidated Regiment – to the I Battalion of the 2nd Consolidated Regiment; 9th, 10th and 11th companies – in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd companies of the 2nd Consolidated Regiment.
The head of the Russian Church Abroad, Metropolitan Anastassy, visited with the miraculous icon of the Root Mother of God the barracks of the Corps for the consecration of the camp regimental church. To meet, the units lined up in the courtyard of the barracks, with an orchestra of music.
On October 23, an order was given to form the headquarters of the brigade. Appointed: Major General Kiriyenko – Brigade Commander (Major General); ten.-major Zborovsky – commander of the 1st Consolidated Regiment; gene. PCS. Major General Yegorov – commander of the 2nd Consolidated Regiment; gene. PCS. Colonel Zhukov – battalion commander of the 1st Consolidated Regiment; colonel Rogozhin – commander of the III battalion of the 1st Consolidated Regiment: gene. PCS. colonel Stavrovich – adjutant of the brigade (hauptmann); major general Glagolev – brigade quartermaster (major); Dr. Popov Semyon – regimental doctor of the 2nd St. Regiment. We began to form the 4th company of the 2nd regiment. Company commander – Colonel Popov-Kokoulin.
October 25 appointed: Colonel Baron Meyendorff – Regimental Treasurer of the 2nd Regiment (Hauptmann); gene. PCS. Colonel Krasnov – adjutant of the 1st, and Gen. PCS. Colonel Merzhanov – adjutant of the 2nd regiment – both hauptmanns. October 29 priest father Vladimir Ulyantsev – regimental priest of the 2nd regiment. October 27 Gen. PCS. colonel Ivanovsky – class inspector of the 1st cadet battalion (hauptmann).
On October 29, His Majesty’s Own Escort Division arrived from Osek (Croatia) with a trumpeter choir (see the essay “The First Battle of the Russian Corps”).
October 31 appointed: Gen. PCS. Major General Gontarev – Chief of Staff of the Corps (Oberst); gene. PCS. colonels: Yakovlev – 1st adjutant (major) and Fadeev – 2nd adjutant (hauptmann); gene. PCS. lieutenant colonel Golubev – chief of communications of the headquarters of the Corps (major); captain Loban – officer for communication with the German Directorate (major).
On the same day, the regiments were reorganized according to the new states. The 3rd cadet company was formed; The 5th artillery company of the 1st regiment was transferred by the 5th company to the 2nd regiment; The 3rd Strelka and the 4th Technical Company of the 1st Regiment were renamed the 4th and 5th Companies; 7th and 8th Cossack companies – to the 8th and 9th; The 7th company was formed from the Cossacks of the Guards Division. Appointed: Colonel Popov-Kokoulin – Commander of the 2nd Battalion of the 2nd Regiment; Colonel Sevrin – commander of the 4th company of the 2nd regiment; major general Ivanov – commander of the 6th company of the 2nd regiment, colonel. Dudyshkin – commander of the III battalion of the 2nd regiment; colonel Lukin – commander of the 5th company of the 1st regiment; Colonel Polyakov – to the commanders of the 8th company of the 2nd regiment; regiment. Kzhizhanovsky – commander of the 7th company of the 2nd regiment; Colonel Somov – commander of the 9th company of the 2nd regiment; Colonel Semenov – commander of the 3rd company of the 1st regiment.
The music choir was transferred to the 2nd regiment, and the trumpeters’ choir of the Guards Division became the music choir of the 1st regiment.
Since November 1, the strength of the brigade is 2383 people.
On November 5, Colonel Galushkin was appointed commander of the 7th Guards Hundred of the 1st Regiment, and Captain Smerdov was appointed treasurer of the military economic department. Both in the rank of Hauptmann.
On November 11, the parade of the 1st regiment took place. The parade was hosted by the German colonel Kevish, to whom R.O.K. directly subordinate. On the same day, the Combined Company was formed to include in it all the surplus personnel in the regiments. Colonel Goleevsky was appointed company commander.
On November 18, the Russian Security Corps was renamed the Russian Security Group; regiments – into detachments, battalions – into squads, companies – into hundreds.
(In view of the fact that these names were later canceled, this essay continues to use the old familiar names – regiment, battalion, company, and only the Cossack hundred are called hundreds.)
The brigade was disbanded. Gen.-m. Kiriyenko was appointed assistant chief of the Security Group. The ranks of the Brigade Directorate were transferred to the Group Headquarters.
Before the departure from Belgrade of the 1st regiment, which had completed its formation, to the area of the city of Loznitsa, on November 19, a parade took place again in the presence of senior German commanders: Commander-in-Chief Gen. Bader, Gruppenführer Neuchhausen and Colonel Kevish, who noted the excellent result of the training of the 1st regiment in a short time. Regimental commander Gen. Zborovsky and all the ranks of the regiment were thanked in the order to the Security Group. The parade took place without the 7th and 8th hundreds, who arrived from Pancevo, where they were to receive horses, only in the evening
On November 20, the headquarters of the 1st regiment and the 1st battalion were transferred to the Klenak station, from where they marched to Shabac.
On the same day, the 2nd Battalion, the 8th and 9th hundreds of the 1st Regiment were transported to Shabats, and the rest of the Corps moved from the Topchider barracks to the barracks on Banitsa.
On November 22, the headquarters of the III battalion and the 7th Guards Hundred of the 1st Regiment were transported to Shabats).
From Šabac the 1st regiment was sent to Loznica, where the 3rd battalion arrived on the 24th, and the 1st and 2nd battalions and the headquarters of the regiment on 25 November.
On November 25, the III battalion of the 1st regiment, after a battle with communist partisans, occupied Zayach (Essay “The first battle of the Russian Corps”), after which the I and II battalions participated in the operation to occupy Krupen, which ended on November 29 (Essays: “2- I am a cadet company of the 1st Detachment” and “Our first campaign”). In the battle on November 28, Dr. Golubev accomplished a feat – being wounded, bandaging others under fire until he was seriously wounded a second time, for which he was awarded the St. George Cross of the 3rd degree.
In operations, our units enjoyed the full support of the Chetnik detachment of Raiko Markovich.
After these operations, the 4th and 5th and two platoons of the 2nd company remained in the Krupen region; The 1st and 2nd platoons of the 2nd company moved to the Stolice, and the 3rd and 6th – to Loznitsa.
On December 8, the Reds attacked the Stolice (Essay “The First Baptism of Fire”).
After a double reorganization, the composition of the 2nd regiment, on December 28, was as follows: 1st company – regiment. Nesterenko, 2nd (cavalry squadron) – gene. Ivanov; 3rd (scooter) – Colonel Kzhizhanovsky; 4th (battery) – gen. Ignatiev; 5th (Cossack) – Lieutenant Colonel Pashchenko; 6th (Cossack) – general Skvortsov; 7th (Cossack) – Colonel Somov; 8th (Cossack) Colonel Polyakov; 9th – Colonel Sevrin; 10th Colonel Breneke and 11th – Colonel Kononov.
Thanks to the exceptional energy of Gen. PCS. Lieutenant Colonel Mesner, on December 23, the first issue of the newspaper “Vedomosti of the Security Group” was published.
On December 21, an operation was carried out to occupy Moikovichi, where the 3rd cadet company of the 1st regiment was stationed.
On December 27, Colonel Eichholtz was appointed commander of the 2nd cadet company.
Until the end of the year, units of the 1st regiment were busy building blockhouses, carried out reconnaissance and had clashes with partisans near the villages of Stara Sudnitsa, Rozhan, the Tronosh monastery, and others.

1942 Changes in the structure of the Russian Corps

January 3 a working company was formed at the Corps headquarters; commander – colonel Baron Meindorf.
January 4 due to illness, the general Egorov was dismissed from service and the colonel Merzhanov was appointed as commander of the 2nd regiment. .
The 2nd Regiment completed its formation and on this occasion, on January 6, a review of the regiment took place, and then a parade, which was hosted by General Bader. At the parade, the 2nd squadron was on horseback, the 3rd company was on bicycles, and the 4th (battery) was with four guns. On the same day, Colonel Saborsky was appointed adjutant of the 2nd Regiment of the General Staff.
The next day, on the occasion of the Nativity of Christ, the entire 2nd regiment with the orchestra went to the city to the Russian church, where a solemn service took place,
On January 8, they began to form the 3rd regiment, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd companies of which were transported from Novo Sad to Banitsa at the end of December and beginning of January. Colonel Shatilov was appointed commander of the regiment; Colonel Jendrzeevsky – commander of the 2nd battalion of the 1st regiment, and the regiment. Myshlaevsky – commander of the 4th company of the 1st regiment; January 10 appointed: adjutant of the 3rd regiment – cap. Nagorov, commander of the 1st battalion of the 3rd regiment – General. Cherepov; commander of the 1st company – Colonel Treskin; 2nd – Colonel Kozinets and 3rd – Colonel Zozulin.
During January 9, 10 and 11, units of the 2nd Regiment set out from Belgrade to their destination. There are 12 companies in the regiment. The last companies of the regiment were formed: December 11 – 12th Colonel Buzun; December 26 – 10th Regiment. Brenneke and December 28 – 11th Regiment. Kononova.
The head of the Military Economic Department, General Glagolev, was relieved of his post on January 11 and Hauptmann Protopopov A. was appointed in his place; On January 15, Major General Botursky was appointed commander of the 11th company of the 2nd regiment; On January 17, Dr. Mokin became the senior doctor of the infirmary, Dr. Pleshakov became the regimental doctor of the 1st regiment.
At the headquarters of the Corps on January 20, a Reserve battalion was formed, commander – Major General Pulevich, consisting of companies: Crafts – General Glagolev, Workers – ob. – Lieutenant Bertels, Convalescent – Colonel Baron Meindorf, Stage – Colonel Goleevsky and Orchestra – ob. – Lieutenant Galaev.
On January 22, the General Staff appointed Lieutenant Colonel Vasiliev as company commander of the 3rd Regiment; the commander of the newly formed 4th rifle company under the cadet battalion of the 1st regiment was Colonel Granitov, and the commander of the 2nd cadet company was Colonel Eichholtz; On January 23, Archpriest Father Boris Molchanov became regimental priest of the 3rd regiment. The commanders of the newly formed companies in the 1st regiment on February 1 were appointed: 8th Lieutenant Colonel Zeltman, 11th – Colonel Bely and hundreds of departments – Colonel Zerschikov.
On February 5, hieromonk Father Nikon Rklitsky was appointed priest of the Reserve Battalion. On the same day, a topographical platoon was formed under this battalion.
For ranks holding officer positions, for wearing outside the ranks, a cap of the Russian type is installed, with a band of dark blue cloth * (?), one-color with a collar, with silver cords.
The crown of the cap is made of cloth according to the color of the uniform (protective – green or brown). The cap has three edges made of instrument cloth: for the infantry – crimson, for the cavalry – yellow, for the Cossacks – blue, for the artillery, technical troops, general staff, military judicial, military sanitary and military veterinarians – scarlet.
On March 1, Major Lichtenecker was appointed German liaison officer at Corps headquarters.
On March 6, the 1st battalion of the 3rd regiment was sent to the disposal of the commander of the 1st regiment (essay “Novosadskaya squad”).
On March 7, General Ivanov was appointed commander of the 1st battalion of the 2nd regiment.
The first batch of replenishment from Bulgaria arrived on March 21 (essay “Bulgarian replenishment”).
On March 30, Colonel Fetisov was appointed commander of the 7th company of the 3rd regiment; April 1 – commander of the 3rd company of the 2nd regiment – Colonel Tseshke; commander of the 2nd battalion of the 3rd regiment – Colonel Granitov; commander of the 8th company of the 3rd regiment – regiment. Murzin; 4th company 2nd regiment – regiment. Bank; 5th company of the 3rd regiment – Colonel Krivsky; the head of the artillery unit of the Corps is General Ignatiev and the head of the engineering unit is Colonel Mikheev; April 8 – the commander of the III battalion of the 3rd regiment was Colonel Granitov, and the II battalion was Colonel Hesketh; April 14, company commanders of 3 regiments: 5th – Lieutenant Colonel Plonsky; 6th – Colonel Krivsky; 4th – General Tikhotsky; 9th – Captain Shell; 10th – Lieutenant Colonel Rogovskoy; 11th – Colonel Milovidov; 12th – Colonel Korolev; 4th company of the 1st regiment – Colonel Prince Maksutov.
The II Battalion of the 3rd Regiment departed for Mitrovica in Kosovo on April 17.
On April 29, at Banitsa, they began to form the 4th regiment, whose commander was General Cherepov, and Colonel Zhukov as adjutant of the general staff. In connection with this, General Petrovsky was appointed commander of the 1st battalion of the 3rd regiment, General Zinkevich was appointed commander of the 1st battalion of the 1st regiment, and Major General Nikolai Popov was appointed commander of the 6th squadron of the 1st regiment.
By order of Colonel Kevish, the Corps was divided into two brigades on May 11. Major General Dratsenko (major general) was appointed commander of the 1st brigade, and Colonel Jordan, chief of staff of the brigade – general staff; adjutant – Captain Kovalevsky. On the same day, the commander of the 1st battalion of the 4th regiment was General Morozov.
The III Battalion of the 3rd Regiment was sent to Mitrovica Kosovo on May 18 along with the regimental headquarters. Lieutenant Colonel Podolsky was appointed commander of the control company of the 4th regiment of the General Staff.
The headquarters of the 1st Brigade arrived in Arandjelovac on May 22. Appointed: May 28 – Colonel Ivanovsky, commander of the hundred of the Directorate of the 1st Regiment – General Staff; Inspector of classes of the cadet battalion – General Staff, Major General Georgievich; May 30: commander of the 2nd battalion of the 4th regiment – General Staff, Major General Pulevich; commander of the Reserve Battalion – Colonel Goleevsky; June 9: commander of the working company of the Reserve Battalion – Hauptmann Protopopov A.; the chief physician of the infirmary is Dr. Finne, and the corps physician is Dr. Popov; June 24: commander of the 6th squadron of the 1st regiment – regiment. Vinokurov; On June 26, Major Loban was expelled from service.
On July 11, the chief of the Corps – the General Staff, Oberst Kewisch, died in Berlin. General Shteifon went to the funeral. General Shteifon received the most exceptional attention from all those present at the funeral, and then, when meeting with military circles, their enormous interest in Russian formations became clear. The Corps commander returned with bright hopes for the future of the Corps.
Appointed: August 8 – commander of the 10th company of the 2nd regiment – Colonel Mamontov; August 23 – Colonel Urnizhevsky, commander of the 5th company of the 3rd regiment; 3rd company – Colonel Rubets; 4th company of the 2nd regiment – Colonel Brennecke. On September 17, the commander of the 2nd battalion of the 1st regiment, Colonel Jendrzeevsky, and the commander of the 1st battalion of the 3rd regiment, General Petrovsky, were moved one to the place of the other.
The 7th (Don) hundred of the 3rd regiment was transferred on September 7 to the 4th regiment as the 4th, and the 4th company of the 4th regiment was transferred to the 3rd regiment as the 7th.
At the barracks on Banjica, a team from all regiments underwent training in firing PAK guns (essay “Formation of PAK platoons”).
On September 26, veterinary paramedic courses were successfully completed.
An order dated November 30 announced the order of the German command to rename the Russian Security Group into the Russian Security Corps with inclusion in the German Armed Forces (Wehrmacht).

Corps Structure (1942):

I. Corps headquarters, with companies: guard, supply, transport, reserve and infirmary.
II. Three regiments: 1st Cossack, 2nd and 3rd.
Squads and hundreds are renamed into battalions and companies.
The Directorate of the Group and the 1st Brigade, the 4th Regiment and the Reserve Battalion are disbanded.
Major General Gontarev (major) of the General Staff took over the position of Chief of the Department of Management, with the duties of Chief of Staff of the Corps. Appointed: Major General Kiriyenko – corps quartermaster (major), Colonel Yakovlev – quartermaster (major), Colonel Stavrovich – adjutant, head of Section II-a (Hauptmann), Lieutenant Colonel Golubev – corps quartermaster officer (actually head of the communications department Hauptmann); commander of the reserve company – Colonel Goleevsky; guard company – Major General Egorov, transport – Major General Pulevich, supply – Colonel Zhukov.
On December 31, one was moved to the place of the other: the adjutant of the 3rd regiment, Captain Nagorov, and the adjutant of the 2nd battalion of the 2nd regiment of the general staff, Major General Bredov.

1943 chronicle of the transformations of the Russian Protective Corps

January 5, the Adjutant of the 1st Regiment of the General Staff, Colonel Krasnov, and the Adjutant of the Don Battalion of the General Staff, Colonel Shlyakhtin, swapped places.
January 15, the 6th company of the disbanded 4th regiment, after a successful review, was named the 6th company of the 2nd regiment and on February 2 was sent to D. Milanovac.
On January 25, the position of Corps commander was renamed to the position of Inspector of Russian military units in Serbia, and the Corps headquarters was renamed to the headquarters of the same Inspector. The inspector reports directly to the Commander-in-Chief in Serbia.
February 8, this position was renamed to the position of “Inspector-General of the Russian Protective Corps.”
February 2, an infirmary with 40 beds was opened in Shabets.
February 7 By order of Major Lichtenecker, Captain Nagorov and General Bredov were returned to their previous positions.
On February 9, the following regimental doctors were appointed: Doctor Pleshakov – 1st, Doctor Plishchenko – 2nd and Doctor Bychkov – 3rd regiment.
March 1, the composition of the senior ranks of the Corps, approved by the Commander-in-Chief in Serbia:
Headquarters of the Inspector General: Section 1-a – German service, Major Emer; dept. I-b – with the rank of major, Colonel Eichholtz, brigade quartermaster – German service, headquarters quartermaster Baumgarten, brigade doctor – Major Popov Semyon, brigade veterinarian – Major Istomin, dept. P-a – Hauptmann Stavrovich.
Regiment commanders: Oberst: 1st Zborovsky, 2nd – Merzhanov and 3rd Gontarev.
Combined battalion: supply company – Hauptmann Zhukov, reserve company – Hauptmann Jordan, transport – Hauptmann Pulevich, guard – Hauptmann Golubev, Cossack company – Hauptmann Protopopov A.
The infirmary is headed by Major Mokin, heads of departments with the rank of Hauptmann: Verbitsky, Klyucharev and Ermakov.
March 7, they were appointed: commander of the 1st battalion of the 2nd regiment – General Ivanov, commander of the 2nd company of the 2nd regiment – Colonel Brenneke, 7th – Colonel Khristoforov.
March 13, by order of General Bader, the following were released from service in the Corps: General Kiriyenko, Colonel D. Shatilov, Colonel Yakovlev, General Egorov, Colonel Fadeev and Colonel Mikheev.
On March 12, reinforcements from Russia (prisoners of war of the Red Army) arrived at Banitsa, numbering 297 people. Two special companies were formed from it.
April 26, on the second day of Holy Easter, the Belgrade Holy Trinity Church received young soldiers of the Corps who arrived from Russia. There was a solemn Easter service, at the end of which Metropolitan Anastassy addressed the soldiers with a deeply felt and loving word. After the service, a parade took place, which was hosted by General Steifon, who said a bright patriotic word.
April 30, the 1st Special Company of Colonel Goetz was sent to the 3rd Regiment as the 9th Company (Essay “Soviet Company”), and the 2nd Special Company of Colonel Kondratyev was sent to the 2nd Regiment as the 11th Company.

During May, the following courses were completed: radiotelegraph, gunsmiths and captain’s masters, P.T.O. (PAK) and cooks.
On May 17, the 1st propaganda congress was held with the participation of regimental and battalion propagandists, in August – a course on gas defense and a training team; in September – command, cavalry and pack courses; in October – Hauptfeldwebel.
July 13, General Pulevich and Colonel Jordan were transferred to one another.
July 15, Major Lichtenecker received a new assignment outside the Russian Corps. Oberst Schröder was appointed head of the German communications headquarters under the Russian Corps.
August 1, by order of the Commander-in-Chief in Serbia, General Shteifon was again appointed commander of the Russian Security Corps with the rank of lieutenant general.
September 10, the following majors were promoted to oberst-lieutenant: Rogozhin, Zinkevich and Hesketh.
By order of the German command, the ranks of the Corps began to be awarded the German Order for Eastern Nations of two types: with swords “for bravery” and without swords “for zeal.”
On September 12, in commemoration of the second anniversary of the existence of the Corps, the first awards for the presented ranks were announced.
In September, Romanian reinforcements began to arrive at Banitsa (volunteers from Odessa and Bukovina), from which the following training companies were formed and sent to the regiments: September 28 – 1st Colonel Kalinin to the 2nd Regiment; November 12 – 2nd Lieutenant Colonel Kotlyar to the 2nd Regiment; November 28th Colonel Frank’s 3rd in the 3rd regiment; December 5 – 4th Colonel Vinokurov to the 3rd Regiment; December 7 – 5th Colonel Lektorsky to the 1st Regiment; December 7 – 6th Colonel. Gumbin to the 3rd regiment; December 10 – 7th military foreman Petrovsky – to the 1st regiment; December 17 – 8th Colonel Bochevsky to the 2nd Regiment; December 19 – 9th Colonel Pashchenko to the 4th Regiment; December 26 – 10th military foreman Nefedyev to the 4th regiment; December 30 – 11th Colonel Lewandowski to the 4th Regiment.
September 29, the following were appointed: Captain Nagorov – commander of the 11th company of the 2nd regiment; General Bredov – adjutant of the 3rd regiment and Colonel Kondratyev – commander of the 5th company of the 3rd regiment.
November 29, the battalion commanders of the 2nd regiment – I General Ivanov and III Lieutenant Colonel Popov-Kokoulin, were moved to one another.
December 15, the formation of the new 4th regiment began.
December 15, Head of Dept. 1ts, Captain Schell was sent to Romania to recruit volunteers.
On December 25 The battalion commanders of the 3rd regiment: III General Cherepov and II General Petrovsky were moved to one another.
December 26, the ranks intended to form the 5th regiment arrived from the regiments to Banitsa. For their training, officer (headed by Oberst Schröder) and non-commissioned officer (headed by Hauptmann Angeben) courses have been established. The “Headquarters of Colonel Rogozhin” was formed, intended for the post of commander of the 5th regiment.

Operationally, the 1st and 2nd regiments are subordinate to the 704th German Division, and the 3rd to the 1st Bulgarian Occupation Corps.

1944 Chronology of the Russian Protective Corps

January 10, courses for veterinary officers were opened at the Belgrade battalion.
January 25, Dr. Babenko was appointed regimental physician of the 4th regiment, and the following were appointed as regimental priests: on January 23, 4th Regiment, Father Nikodim Nagaev; 1st Regiment March 31 – Father Grigory Barannikov.
On January 26, Colonel Yankovsky was appointed commander of the Guard Company.
On February 15, by order of the high command of the German armed forces, it was ordered to begin the formation of the 5th regiment.

Section II-b of the Corps Headquarters was formed (all issues of non-commissioned officers and enlisted personnel). On February 20, Colonel Karpov was appointed head of the department. Dr. Mokin was dismissed from service due to age on February 24. Doctor Ermakov was appointed senior physician of the infirmary; the head of the 1ts department is Colonel Jordan; Colonel Karpov and General Georgievich were transferred to the IT department; Lieutenant Colonel Zeltman was appointed head of transport.
On March 9, by order of the Commander-in-Chief of the South-East, 35 ranks who graduated from the First Military School Courses were promoted to lieutenants on March 1, 1944.
On April 10, in Banice, courses were opened to prepare young ranks of the Corps for exams for the 6th, 7th and 8th grades of the gymnasium.
On April 16, the first day of Easter, the first Anglo-American air attack on Belgrade took place, and on the 17th the second. Several bombs hit the H1 infirmary area. Seriously wounded: Doctor Ermakov; who was recovering from a wound, Colonel Pashchenko and nurse Ulyanovskaya and 11 other ranks; killed – 8. The teams of Chief Lieutenant Vasilyev, Lieutenant Dorman and Sementovsky sent to the city showed a lot of courage, calm, energy and management. They provided very significant assistance to the affected population and received the gratitude of the German and Serbian authorities and the local population. Colonel Pashchenko and sister Ulyanovskaya died from their wounds.
Order R.P.C. No. 100 of April 21, 1944:
“On April 17, during an air attack on Belgrade, the infirmary of the Russian Corps was bombed. Among the patients and personnel, there were 8 killed and 13 wounded. The infirmary personnel worked with complete self-sacrifice, hastily evacuating the sick and providing assistance to the injured. For outstanding work in such a difficult battle situation, I express my gratitude to Dr. Verbitsky, Dr. Klyucharev, Dr. Goren-Sosuntsov, Dr. Zhukovsky, the nurses, all the medical staff and team. I thank the patients for their courage. I especially note, as an example of high performance of duty, the valiant behavior of the senior doctor of the staff doctor Ermakov Mikhail, who, while saving the sick, was himself seriously wounded, as a result of which his leg had to be amputated. I thank Dr. Ermakov for his heroic work. Lieutenant General Shteifon.”
April 25, the German ranks of Oberst-Lieutenant were awarded to General Cherepov and General Morozov.
May 8, adjutant of the 4th regiment, the regiment was appointed. Akvilonov.

On May 12, by order of the Commander-in-Chief of the South-East, 35 ranks who graduated from the Second Military School Courses were promoted to lieutenants on May 1, 1944.
May 23 appointed: commander of the 10th company of the 5th regiment of the ob.-ltn. Fleginsky was the commander of the 3rd company of the 3rd regiment, and Lieutenant Bondarenko was the commander of the 10th company of the 5th regiment.
May 27, ten officers graduated from battalion commander courses.
May 28, Lieutenant Protopopov N. was appointed commander of the 5th company of the 5th regiment.
June 6, a shipment of ob.-ltn. arrived from Romania. Golofaeva, who formed the cavalry platoon of the 5th regiment.
June 14, a Veterinary Company was created at the Corps Headquarters.
On June 16, 1944, by order No. 187, gratitude was expressed to Oberest Schröder for his work in training regiments in modern military affairs during the year, which was crowned with excellent results.
June 17, the Commander-in-Chief of the South-East awarded General Steifon the insignia of the German Order of the Kriegsferdinstkreutz, 2nd class with swords.
On July 26, the ranks of the 7th company of the 4th regiment were awarded: non-commissioned officer Golubchikov, corporal Ermolaev and rifleman Remisevich, for the bravery and courage shown in the battle of Rogačka Planina on July 9, 1944, with the “Iron Cross” 2 th class. These are the first awards in the Corps with these orders.
June 21 By order of the German command, a communications company was formed at the Corps Headquarters, commander – Lieutenant Vasiliev. Hauptmann Protopopov A. was dismissed from service due to non-compliance.
June 24, 14 officers completed the company commander course, and on June 26, 12 officers completed the second battalion commander course. Doctor Pleshakov was appointed senior physician of the infirmary.
On June 27, Colonel Hesketh was promoted to Oberst.
August 4, Father Vladimir Mogilev was appointed priest of the 2nd regiment.
September 6 The first transport with the families of the ranks of the Russian Corps was sent to Germany, and the second – on September 9.
September 7 Those who graduated from the Third Military School Course (46 ranks) were promoted to lieutenant (essay “Military School Courses”).
On September 16, Colonel Rogozhin was promoted to German Oberst. Doctor Bandurko took up the post of regimental doctor of the 5th regiment.
September 21 Dr. was appointed Corps Physician. Pleshakov.
September 22 Hieromonk Father Victorin Lyabakh was appointed second priest of the 4th regiment.
October 7 The headquarters of the Belgrade battalion, companies: supply, guard and reserve, were loaded at the Topčider station and sent to Kraljevo.
October 9, a communications company was sent to Kraljevo. She was detained on the way and took part in the battles near Mladenovets, after which she withdrew to Belgrade with the combined battalion of Colonel Mamontov (essay “Communications Service”).
On October 10, 1944, the Russian Security Corps was renamed the “Russian Corps in Serbia.”
October 12, the Corps Headquarters set out in a convoy from Banitsa and spent the night at the villa of Prince Paul on Dedinje at the Headquarters of the Commander-in-Chief
October 13, the headquarters moved to Zemun, on the 14th to Ruma, on the 16th to Tovarnik, on the 17th to Sremske Laz, on the 22nd to Bershadin, and on the 25th to Nushtar.
On October 28, Oberst Schröder and Major Eichholtz went on a business trip to Berlin. General Gontarev was appointed commander of a group of Corps units in the Chachka region (Ibr group).
October 31, the Corps Headquarters moved to N. Mikanovtsy, on November 4 – to St. Yankovtsi, 13th – in Brcko. On November 28, at the Corps Headquarters, Captain Yashchuk gave a report on the ROA (Russian Liberation Army).
December 13 Colonel Eichholtz was appointed commander of the 4th regiment.
December 18, Hauptmann Vasiliev was appointed head of the department. I-b; commander of the communications company – ob.-ltn. Kuzmenko.
On December 28, the Corps Headquarters moved to Xibin.
12/28/44 Oberst Gontarev’s battle group was given an order from the Russian Corps to appoint Major Golubev as a communications officer at the headquarters of Army Group “E”.
December 30, General Steifon left for Berlin. Colonel Merzhanov took temporary command of the Corps.