Alps Ski resorts in France, descriptions, reviews, how to get there.
The French Alps are located in two regions (according to the new classification of 2016). From a tourist point of view, they are divided into the following zones shown on the map: Geneva and Haute-Savoie, Lyon and the Rhone Valley, Savoy, Grenoble and Isère, the Southern Alps to Nice and the Cote d’Azur.
Lyon. The second transport hub and starting point for visiting the Alps. TGV train station and Saint-Exupéry airport. Beautiful old town and place for excursions. Transfer to ski resorts.
Geneva. Although not France, it is directly related to the tourist infrastructure, including the Geneva airport.
Haute-Savoie (department Haute-Savoie). Includes such recreation areas as:
– Lake Leman (Lake Geneva) and Chablais (Chablais, see map N 7)
– array Aravi (massif des Aravis)
– Chamonix city and Mont Blanc mountain
– the city of Annecy (Annecy) and Lake Annecy (Lac Annecy)
– Castle of Monrotier. XIII – XV century. Museum, collection and holidays for children
– mountain resorts: Avoriaz, Chatel, Les Contamines-Montjoie, Samoyens
Savoy (department of Haute-Savoie). The main resort area.
– Aix-les-Bains and Lake Bourget (lac du Bourget)
– Parc naturel regional du Massif des Bauges (Natural Park)
– Chambery, city and transport hub
– Albertville, bus transfer junction
– Massif de Beaufort (mountain range)
– Val d’Isere (Val d’Isere) – the valley of the river Ysere
– Parc National de la Vanoise – Vanoise National Park
– Massif de la Vanoise – mountain range
— Company store, boutique, tasting room. Herbal liqueurs.
Ski resorts located in the Mont Blanc-Savoie area are considered the oldest and best in France with excellent infrastructure. Here is a map of the mountain ranges and the historical names of the areas of this tourism zone.
Isère (department of Isere) and its capital, Grenoble
— Grenoble. The unofficial capital of the Alps
– Parc Naturel Regional de la Chartreuse – Chartreuse Natural Park
– Massif de la Chartreuse Chartreuse massif
– Parc Naturel Regional du Vercors – Vercors Natural Park
– Montagne de Lans – mountains
– Chaîne de Belledonne – mountain range
– Massif, Parc National des Ecrins (natural park and massif, northwestern part)
Part of the region Provence-Alpes – Côte d’Azur (Provence – Alpes – Cote d’Azur), related to the tourist zone of the Alps, including:
Hautes-Alpes (department Hautes-Alpes)
– Massif, Parc National des Ecrins (Natural Park and massif N 5, southeast)
— Parc Naturel Reg. du Queyras (natural park)
– Lac de Serre-Ponçon (Lake Serre-Ponçon)
Alpes-de-Haute-Provence (Alpes-de-Haute-Provence department)
– a valley de l’Ubaye (Ubaye Valley)
– Vallee de la Tinee
— Lac de St. Croix (Lake of the Holy Cross)
— Parc N. Reg. Verdon – natural park “Verdon Gorge”
— Mr. Sisteron
— Mr. Digne
– Parc National du Mercantour (Mercartour Natural Park N6 on the map)
Grasse, capital of mountain herbs and perfumes
– Nice, Cannes and Cote d’Azur
How to get to Alps ski resorts from Airport, transfer, taxi, rent a car with driver
– Geneva International Airport is the main point of arrival to the resorts. Transfer, taxi…
– Lyon-Saint-Exupéry International Airport (French: Aéroport Lyon-Saint-Exupéry), formerly Lyon-Satolas (French: Aéroport de Lyon-Satolas)
– Chambery-Savoie Airport, aka Chambery Aix-les-Bains Airport
– Grenoble Airport (Department of Isère) – Grenoble–Isère Airport or Aéroport de Grenoble–Isère, formerly Grenoble–Saint-Geoirs Airport