WW2 Russian Protective Corps 3rd Regiment

1942 Chronology of the 3rd regiment of the Russian Protective Corps

On March 6, 1942, the 1st Battalion was transferred to the 1st Regiment.
On April 17, the 2nd Battalion was sent from Topčidera to Kosovska Mitrovica, where it arrived on April 19 and was placed in barracks,
On May 17, the 1st battalion, replaced by units of the 1st regiment, was sent to join the regiment and arrived in Vuchitrn, where it was housed in barracks (Essay on “Novosadskaya squad”).
On May 18, the Regimental Headquarters, the III Battalion and a hundred of the department were sent from Topčidera to Mitrovica Kosovo, where they arrived on May 20. Placed in the Sokolsky house, barracks and in the city.
The situation in the Mitrovica region of Kosovo was complicated by hostility between the Arnauts and the Serbs. Both sides treat our units well.
Service: 1st company – guarding the Trepce-Zvecany suspension railway; 1st platoon – on night guard at the Zvecan plant; The 1st company from the Kosovo Mitrovica garrison and the 1st company from the Vucitrn garrison take turns on border duty in Kosovo Polje.
On June 4 and 5, the first operation was carried out to clear the area west of Kosovo from Mitrovica from gangs, consisting of 6 companies. On June 11-13, the second operation was carried out by the 1st battalion.
July 29 III battalion, placed on guard of the railway from the Albanian border to the Ushche station (excluding), battalion headquarters – Rudnitsa; company headquarters: 9th – Josanichka Banya, 10th – Rudnitsa; 11th – Slatinski Most, 12th – Banska. People are housed in stations, schools, carriages and tents. Bunkers are being built.
From August 1 to 7, a combined detachment of units of the regiment made a seven-day training march to clear Kopaonik of partisans.
On August 20, the 8th company was transferred to Raska and occupied the area between the 9th and 10th companies, allocating one platoon to the Voevoda Stepa station.
On September 4, the headquarters of the 3rd battalion was moved to Raska, the 11th company to Leposavichi.
On September 7, the 7th hundred was transferred to the 4th regiment, and the 4th company of the 4th regiment was transferred to the 3rd regiment and renamed the 7th under the command of General Angileev.
On September 17, the commander of the 6th company, Colonel Krivsky, died as a result of an accident.
On September 28, the Headquarters of the 2nd Battalion, the 6th and 7th companies were transferred to the Josanichka Banya area and took over the protection of the Ushche, Yarando and Kremichi mines, and the 5th company was transferred to Miloshevo to guard the airfield.
On October 3, in connection with the completion of the construction of the bunkers, a new distribution of companies guarding the railway was made: 12th – Voev. Styopa; 10th – Leshak; 11th – Slatina and 4th – Banska.
On November 25, they appointed – General Staff Colonel Plotnikov – commander of the 5th cadet company; December 9 – General Cherepov – commander of the III battalion.
On November 11, after regrouping, sections of the railway were occupied: 9th company – Josanichka Banya; 6th – Squeak; 8th – Raska; 10th – Leshak; 11th – Slatina; 12th – Banska; 4th – Kosovo Mitrovica; 5th – Yarando; 7th – security of the Lissa-Ivanitsa factory; 3rd – Zvecany – Trepce; 2nd – Kosovo Mitrovica for garrison service; 1st – Vuchitrn.
During December, as a result of the transfer to the Wehrmacht, reformations took place, as a result of which the composition of the regiment turned out to be as follows:
Commander of the 1st battalion, Colonel Jendrzeevsky, 1st company (from the ranks of the 5th company of the 1st regiment) Colonel Myshlaevsky; 2nd (from the ranks of the 1st and 2nd companies of the 3rd regiment) Colonel Treskin; 3rd (from the 9th company of the 3rd regiment) Captain Schell; headquarters – Kraljevo. The battalion began guarding the Kraljevo-Josanicka Banya railway.
Commander of the 2nd battalion – regiment. Hesketh; headquarters – Raska; 5th company – regiment. Plotnikov – Balevac; 6th (from the 10th r. 3rd p.) Lieutenant Colonel Rogovskoy; 7th (from the 6th and 11th companies of the 3rd regiment) – cap. Iodchin.
The commander of the III battalion is General Cherepov. III Battalion Headquarters and Heavy Platoon – Vuchitrn; 9th company (from the 7th 3rd regiment) – General Angileev, Artillery platoon – on the bunkers near Josanichka Banya.

WW2 Russian Protective Corps battlefields map

Russian Protective Corps units last positions map before leaving in 1944, Yugoslavia

1943 chronology of the 3rd regiment of the Russian Protective Corps

On March 17, a new commander of the regiment, the General Staff, Major General Gontarev, with the German rank of Oberst, took command of the regiment.
On March 1, General Petrovsky was appointed commander of the 7th company, and General Bredov was appointed commander of the 5th company.
On March 30, the headquarters of the 3rd battalion was moved from Bychitrn to Kosovo Mitrovica, and on April 19 it went to Banica. General Cherepov was appointed commander of the Belgrade battalion.
On April 30, due to the arrival in Liesa of the 2nd Special Company of Colonel Goetz, enlisted in the regiment as the 9th company, the old 9th company of General Angileev was disbanded. People are distributed among regiment units.
21st – battle of the reconnaissance team of Lieutenant Fleginsky (essay “Soviet Company”). The next day there was a battle between a patrol of a non-commissioned officer of the Bureau (essay “Novosadskaya squad”). The gratitude of the Commander-in-Chief was declared in both cases.
Orders to the II Battalion of the 3rd Regiment No. 34 dated July 18, 1943 and No. 49 dated August 31, 1943 announced a list of 132 cadets of the 5th Junker Company and ranks of other units of the 3rd Regiment assigned to it, promoted to second lieutenants, after a 16-month military school course.
On August 17, to consolidate all regimental platoons and ranks of the regimental headquarters into one part, the headquarters company of General Angileev was formed.
On August 22, the headquarters of the 7th company moved from Zvecan to Rudari, and on August 23, the 5th company moved from Raska to Voevoda Stepa station.
On August 24, the commander of the 3rd company, Captain Schell, was sent to Corps headquarters to fill the post of head of the 1ts (reconnaissance) department. Colonel Pataridze took temporary command of the company.
On the night of October 4, partisans attacked a factory in Lisse (essay “Soviet Company”).
On October 11, Captain Dumbadze took command of the 5th company. General Cherepov was reappointed commander of the III Battalion.
On October 18, the headquarters of the 7th company moved from Rudari to Zvecany. During October 25 – November 11, the 7th company replaced the 9th in Lisse.
On November 16, the headquarters of the 9th company moved from Zvecan to Rudari.
November 29 Colonel Kondratyev was appointed commander of the headquarters company.
On November 30, the 10th company (replenishment from Romania) of Colonel Frank arrived in K. Mitrovica.

1944 structure and battles of the 3rd regiment of the Russian Corps

On the night of January 8–9, the 7th company repelled a partisan attack on the Lissa factory (essay “The Battle of Ivanitsa”). The company was thanked by the Commander-in-Chief of the South-East.
On February 12, the regiment commander, General Gontarev, was wounded during a car accident.
By order of the ROC dated 6.3.44, a new III battalion was formed under the command of General Petrovsky, consisting of the 9th, 10th and 11th companies, formed from the 3rd, 1st and 2nd training companies. The old 9th company was renamed the 5th, and the old 5th and 6th companies were merged into the 6th.

Command structure on March 6, 1944: commander of the 1st battalion – Major Jendrzeevsky. 1st company – Hauptmann Myshlaevsky; 2nd – vol.-lt. Antonov; 3rd – vol.-lt. Scar; 11th battalion-Major Cherepov, 5th company – ob.-ltn. Goetz, 6th – vol.-lt. Kozhenkov; 7th – guardhouse. Angileev; III battalion – guardhouse. Petrovsky; 9th company – vol.-ltn. Dumbadze; 10th – vol.-lt. Frank and 11th – vol.-lt. Vinokurov. Due to a long illness, vol.-ltn. Frank, commander of the 10th company, June 24, was appointed ob.-ltn. Samylov. On July 20, the commander of the emerging 4th training company was appointed ob.-ltn. Smola-Smolenko.

On March 31, partisans with a force of 2,400 people launched an offensive on the Voivode Stepa-Ushche front, with the main direction towards Ioshanichka Banya, but were repulsed. Guardhouse Aquilonov was wounded.

The location of the regiment on May 1 after the movements were made was as follows: regimental headquarters and 10th company – K. Mitrovica,
headquarters of the 1st battalion, 1st and 2nd companies – Lissa factory. 3rd company – Josanichka Banya,
headquarters of the 2nd battalion – Raska; 5th company – Zvecani; 6th – Voivode Styopa; 7th – Banska;
headquarters of the III battalion, 9th and 11th companies – Ušče, on June 8, the 9th and 10th companies replaced each other, and on July 18, the 9th company replaced the 11th, which arrived in Mitrovica.

By this time, air raids on railway facilities had become more frequent and partisan activity had increased. There was a threat of their actions with the aim of capturing the Ibra River valley with the railway.
On August 2, ltn was appointed temporary commander of the emerging 5th training company. Plonsky.
On August 3-5, battles took place with the partisans for the Ibr Valley, when heavy losses were suffered, including the capture and execution of a number of ltn. Kozhenkov, killed by ltn. Shevchenko was wounded three times, but remained in the ranks. Yablokov (essay “Troubling days in the valley of the Ibra River 3-5. VIII. 1944”).
Order of the Commander-in-Chief of the South-East dated 7.8.44:
“I declare my special gratitude for the courage and fortitude shown during the defense of the Ibra Valley from August 3 to 5 by the units of the 5th Regiment that participated in the case, as well as the bunker teams of the 3rd Regiment. With exemplary fidelity to their duty, these units fulfilled their purpose and resisted greatly outnumbering the enemy. These bold actions saved objects and inflicted great bloody damage on the communists. The teams of some bunkers, having fired all the cartridges to the last, exploded into thin air. Glory to these heroes! I know that ROK will continue to fully justify my trust. Felber – general from infantry.”
ROC order dated August 20, 1944:
“In the battles on Ibra from August 3 to 5, bunker No. 174 was surrounded by red forces of up to 500 people. The bunker was garrisoned by the 3rd regiment of the 7th company: corporal Maslakovets Nikolai, corporal Zhuravsky Arkady, rifleman Ilya Boltenkov and rifleman Georgy Cherevchin under the command Lt. Shevchenko. For three days, this heroic garrison repelled the brutal onslaught of the enemy, who bombarded the bunker with heavy weapons fire. Lt. Shevchenko responded to the Reds’ offer to surrender with a proud refusal. By the fire of enemy bombers, bunker No. 174 was destroyed and all its defenders, led by Lt. Shevchenko Shevchenko, died, fulfilling their oath to the end. With their heroic actions, the garrison of bunker No. 174 wrote in the history of the Russian Corps a page of outstanding valor and an extremely high understanding of duty. With the deepest respect, I bow to the blessed memory of the heroes who proved by their example what kind of spirit and what kind of mood educates the Russian Corps among its ranks. Lieutenant General Shteifon.”

On August 18, the III battalion, consisting of 513 people, set out from Ushche to the Negotin-Prahovo area (Essay “III battalion of the 3rd regiment”).
On August 31, the 1st Battalion at the Lissa factory, surrounded by Chetniks, received orders to be ready to move to Cacak. The Klisura Gorge was in the hands of the partisans. The Chetniks offered assistance on the condition that they surrender all weapons, but they were refused.
On September 1 and 2, during the aerial bombardment of K. Mitrovica, 8 ranks of the regiment were killed and 5 were wounded.
On September 8, after negotiations with the Chetniks and receiving an order to transfer excess ammunition to the Chetniks and destroy all property due to the lack of convoys, a detachment of the 1st battalion (battalion headquarters, 1st and 2nd companies and the German team) set out from Lissa, but at Klisura they came under attack Chetnik fire from both sides of the highway. With the battle, thanks to the darkness, the high spirit of the ranks of the detachment, the interaction and discipline of fire, especially heavy weapons, the detachment left the gorge by dawn and by the evening of September 9 arrived in Pozega, and on the 11th – in Cacak, having lost 2 killed and 8 wounded, including wounded ltn. Ryabukhin.
On the night of September 8, an artillery platoon ob.-ltn. Murzina excellently supported the battle of the 1st battalion of the 5th regiment in Ioshanicka Banya (Essay “The battle of an artillery platoon in Ioshanicka Banya”).
On October 2, in the battle of Jabukovac, the commander of the 9th company, Hauptmann Dumbadze, was killed.
Order to the 3rd Regiment No. 135 dated 10/14/44:
“On the night of October 7-8, the garrison of the Rudnitsa station was attacked by numerous partisan bands. With the unparalleled courage and diligence of the commanders of the horse platoons of the 5th regiment of the ltn. Golofaev and the 3rd regiment of the ltn. Leontyev, the partisans were repulsed with heavy losses. By death The brave ones who fell in battle were Lt. Leontyev, non-commissioned officer Vladimir Shestoperov, Corporal Stepan Kudinov, Corporal Sergei Vasiliev and Chief Gunner Kirill Mishchenko. Exceptional valor and endurance in battle were shown by the cavalry platoon of the 3rd Regiment, Sergeant Major Gardenin Alexander and Gunner Palagnyuk Georgy. All I thank the cavalrymen for their heroic actions and set them as an example to all ranks of the 3rd regiment. I present Feldwebel Gardenin and Rifleman Palagnyuk for awarding the Iron Crosses. Eternal memory to those who heroically fell in this battle! The exploits they performed will not be forgotten by us and they will serve as an example to everyone of high soldierly valor. Oberst Gontarev.”
On October 16, the 1st Battalion received orders to move from Čačka to support the Chetniks in their attack on Uzhitsa. The battalion’s adjutant, Colonel Dumsky, and the liaison officer, Hauptmann Fuchseger, who were sent forward halfway to Pozhega in cars for negotiations, were treacherously killed by the Chetniks, and the battalion was closely surrounded by them (up to 5,000 people).
On October 20, the 1st Battalion made its way to Cacak, without 50 people who were forcibly left with the Chetniks. Consolidated into one company by Hauptmann Antonov, the battalion joined the 4th Regiment.
On October 29, the regiment was relieved of its bunkers, and on the 30th the order was given to disband. Units of the 2nd battalion became part of the Reserve battalion of General Cherepov, which set out from Raska on November 5.
From November 11 until the end of the year, the battalion occupied positions near the village of Bystrina (essay on the Cherepovsky Campaign).